Michigan Lawmakers Debating Merits of Going Part-time

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan lawmakers are looking at legislation that would make themselves part-time politicians.

Backers of bills that have been or will be introduced in the new legislative session say the state Legislature is only one of four in the nation to be truly on the job full-time. They argue there's no reason they can't do their work in fewer days and with fewer dollars.

Critics including Gov. Rick Snyder and some legislative leaders say the demands of the work require full-time attention.

St. Joseph Republican Sen. John Proos tells the Detroit Free Press Sunday "there's no reason" he and his colleagues can't go part-time. He introduced a bill in the Senate that would let voters decide if lawmakers should work only 90 days a year.

• by Name Location: Location on Jan 29, 2013 at 04:05 AM
    Sure they are???
  • by Sue Boyer Location: Potterville, MI on Jan 28, 2013 at 03:29 PM
    The legislature is already part time. What do you call some one who spends only 81 days , so called "working" for that salary, The citizens of Michigan are being robbed. I'm sure according to them, "legally". I have seen Rick Jones at several "outings", such as parades or social events and tried to bring issues to his attention , only to be"BLOWN OFF " or convieniently "CALLED AWAY" ,I do not consider social fund raisers and dinners,"WORK", My name may sound familiar to him , I do believe he referred to me and my fellow constituants as THUGS , . Full time pay for a part time job ,we THUGS should be so lucky, so my answer is THEY ARE ALREADY PART TIME as far as the rest of us are concerned. Zero productivity results in zero pay.
  • by Mrs. Wilson Location: Michigan on Jan 28, 2013 at 03:15 PM
    I agree that Michigan Lawmakers should go part-time. This would be a 'great' move!
  • by Matt Location: Parma on Jan 28, 2013 at 03:11 PM
    They shouldn't be getting their pay anyway. Can't do their job, seems to me they're only part time anyway. Snyder needs to be recalled!!!
  • by Name Location: Location on Jan 28, 2013 at 06:22 AM
    about time!!!!
  • by john Location: Lansing on Jan 27, 2013 at 01:14 PM
    The way they're acting, I THOUGHT THEY WERE ALREADY PART-TIME WORKERS !!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 188597921 - wilx.com/a?a=188597921