ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- An intoxicated patient and an imaginary cigarette resulted in two people suffering burns and minor damage to a University of Michigan Hospital bed.
University public safety spokeswoman Diane Brown said Sunday that the emergency room patient "was trying to light a non-existent cigarette."
Brown says the man "thought he had one," but set the bedding on fire at the Ann Arbor facility.
The patient was burned, as was a nurse who tried to put the fire out about 10:20 p.m. Saturday.
Hospital staff extinguished the flames before firefighters arrived. The fire was contained to the bed. No evacuations were necessary.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.