Hillsdale Meth Lab Explosion Leaves Man Seriously Injured

By: Hannah Saunders Email
By: Hannah Saunders Email

Michigan State Police Lieutenant David Cook was one of the first to arrive at the scene at meth lab explosion at an un-named apartment complex in at 2940 Cambria Road in Hillsdale County Thursday night.

"The place was an absolute mess. In ten years of dealing with meth labs, this is the first time I've seen an explosion cause this much damage."

The blast happened in the bathroom of a one-bedroom apartment. Police say one man was trying to make meth a plastic pop bottle while two friends were watching a movie on the couch.

The instant he opened the door with the chemicals, the vapors mixed with the air, and caused the explosion. It's an odd sight with hardly any burn marks.

"The windows were blown out, some of the blinds were laying on a roof, there was a coleman fuel can, coffee filters, glass laying outside the place several feet away from the window," Cook continued.

All of the materials made it clear to police what had happened, even though one of the suspects claimed the explosion came from the oven.

"The oven wasn't damaged at all," Cook described.

The man making the so-called "shake-and-bake" meth was badly injured and had to be air lifted to a hospital in Toledo, Ohio.

"He was burned up pretty bad. He has some burns on the inside of his mouth."

Police say the other two escaped injury. One was taken into custody Thursday and the second turn himself in Friday.

Stay with News 10 for updates on this developing story.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 10, 2012 at 09:15 AM
    So I'm just wondering if he learned his lesson or if his brain is already so fried he's a complete moron and plans to "reopen for business" when he gets out of the hospital. And who pays for the damages? Hopefully not taxpayers!
  • by Corey Location: Jackson on Apr 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    That's not even that bad. That's actually a pretty clean house compared to some of our neighbors' houses.
  • by Spring Location: In East Lansing on Apr 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    Excellent...excellent! And I just love the blinds in the window! It's exactly like a Wiley Coyote scene!! HA! HA! HA!
  • by Heather Location: Allen on Apr 7, 2012 at 08:09 AM
    Well people I know this person personally and some people cant handle things that happen to them in their lives so they cope with it in other ways and what he did was wrong but he is still loved by many people and cared for.
  • by Will Location: Hillsdale on Apr 7, 2012 at 03:17 AM
    That's how many labs blow up in how many month in this area. Its' time for someone to start doing their jobs better. Stop worring about all the B&E around here so much and lets worry about the scum killing our kids with this stuff. And blowing peoples homes up.
  • by Stan on Apr 6, 2012 at 06:20 PM
    Maybe if these idiots all blow themselves up we won't have to worry about the drug being around.
  • by Pamela Location: Fayetteville,Ae on Apr 6, 2012 at 05:59 PM
    LOL! Thats what he gets,Too bad he wasnt hurt worse.That would be one scum off the streets
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 146481495 - wilx.com/a?a=146481495
Gray Television, Inc.