Governor Snyder Signs Right to Work Bills Into Law

By: News 10 and Associated Press
By: News 10 and Associated Press

Governor Snyder signed two bills late Tuesday afternoon that makes Michigan the 24th right to work state in the nation. Rather than having a public signing ceremony, the governor signed the bills in the privacy of his office.

The GOP-controlled House passed the two bills hours earlier that were previously approved by the Senate. One dealt with public-sector workers and another focused on the private sector. Both chambers had approved a version of the private sector bill last week.

The legislation bans requirements that nonunion employees pay unions for negotiating contracts and other services.

Passage followed numerous unsuccessful challenges from Democrats as well as raucous protests inside and outside the Capitol from thousands of pro-union demonstrators union employees pay unions for negotiating contracts and other services.

Passage followed numerous unsuccessful challenges from Democrats as well as raucous protests inside and outside the Capitol from thousands of pro-union demonstrators.

• by RT Location: Lansing on Dec 13, 2012 at 08:18 AM
    jdk hit the nail on the head in terms of union representation being such a drop in the bucket in terms of total work force numbers, yet the union people act like they have the ENTIRE labor market rapped up. There is a time and place for a union but it's also about time that people finally have a choice as if THEY CHOOSE to join a union or not. I'm in a union and quite frankly, I'm not impressed with their service to me and my fellow workers...I'd like to see the union actually COMPETE for my membership.
  • by jdk Location: lansing on Dec 12, 2012 at 09:21 AM
    WILX must be biased. I commented for the rtw law and it never appeared. I will be telling everyone I know that WILX is a union biased tv station.
  • by jdk Location: Lansing on Dec 12, 2012 at 07:53 AM
    Only about 12% of workers are union members, down from 20% in 1983, according to federal data. In the private sector, the plunge has been even steeper: union membership has dropped from 17% in 1983 to 7% today. so why should this minority dictate law? They shouldnt!!! WTG Snyder.
  • by SANDRALE Location: Location on Dec 12, 2012 at 05:47 AM
    I am for right to work, I am against what was done in the last week by our Govment officials. This is collusion, and as far as I am concerned I would sign any recall petition put in front of me.
  • by Mariah Location: Bath on Dec 12, 2012 at 05:32 AM
    The Governor has gone from being One Tough Nerd to One Tough Turd. We will not forget to vote him out of office when the time comes.
  • by Jason Location: Jackson on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    Very well put, Bruce. UAW Local 504
  • by anonymous Location: lansing on Dec 11, 2012 at 07:46 PM
    He made it a private signing because he is afraid to face the public now
  • by Name Location: Location on Dec 11, 2012 at 07:12 PM
    Can't trust any politician, they are all crooks. They will take whatever we let them. wonder how long before the next American revolution????? who is paying for all the police protection while they take from us? thats right, they are spending our own money to screw us..
  • by Bruce McAttee Location: DeWitt on Dec 11, 2012 at 04:46 PM
    If your going to tell the story, tell the whole story. Tell the viewers the tents that were torn down were paid for by Dick DeVos and/or Right to Work proponents for the purpose of antagonizing people who are their exercise rights as Americans to demonstrate. Tell about the Right to Work proponents who walked around with a cameraman stalking close behind who deliberately taunted and provoked demonstrators in an effort to get on film angry union. Why don't you report about all those great jobs in the States that have Right to work, you know the "Recipient States" the States that take more from the Federal Government than what they pay in because their residence do not generate enough income to provide enough revenue for the basic services. Or report about the sub standard wages that reserve home ownership for the privileged rather than the norm. Yes we too can become a state of mobile home communities and old beater cars. Why not explain that by reducing union funds we reduce their strength and over time we could possibly drive down wages and benefits and that in turn would drive down buying power. Gosh, you could even explain that potentially in time the value of our own homes could decrease significantly as the pool of people who can afford it diminishes. And don't tell me you can't report on speculation because you just did when you reported that "proponents say it could create jobs" At least have the courtesy to respect the fact that there are a lot of union members who are educated and understand how this community (including your station) have benefited from the respectable wages and benefits our employers agreed to pay us. Try some real journalism, investigate, dig and analyze before you focus your attention on conflicts that resulted in 3 arrests out of 10,000 participants, oh I'm sorry, I forgot about the casualties, DeVos's "poor tents".
  • by Ernest Location: DeWitt on Dec 11, 2012 at 04:28 PM
    I am a proud GM-UAW 27 year employee. They should call this law what it really is, not Right to Work but Right to Quit. It gives you the right to quit a union and if your employer takes advantage of you the only right you have left is to quit your job. I would like to ask Governor Snyder, when he was a boss if he ever took advantage of an employee? I'm thankful I can voice my opinion, and because of the union I don't have to fear being fired for my opinion. Unions aren't perfect but America is far better today because of them.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 183070981 - wilx.com/a?a=183070981