Florida Man Choked to Death in Roach-Eating Contest

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press
n autopsy has concluded that a Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest earlier this year.

In this frame grab made from video on Friday, Oct. 5, 2012, and provided by John-Patrick McNown, Edward Archbold celebrates winning a roach-eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Fla. (AP Photo/Courtesy John-Patrick McNown)

MIAMI (AP) -- An autopsy has concluded that a Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest earlier this year.
The report released Monday says 32-year-old Edward Archbold of West Palm Beach died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents."
Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.
Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.
Archbold became ill shortly after and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 180913531 - wilx.com/a?a=180913531
Gray Television, Inc.