General Motors Corp. said Wednesday it pulled because of complaints a Corvette television ad that shows a young boy driving wildly through city streets.
Auto safety groups sent a letter Tuesday to GM chairman and chief executive Rick Wagoner protesting the ad, saying it sent a dangerous message.
GM spokesman Joe Jacuzzi said the automaker pulled the ad for its 2005 Corvette on Tuesday in response to that letter and other consumer feedback. The ad had been running during the Olympics.
The ad, titled “A Boy's Dream,” features a dream sequence in which a clearly underage boy is shown behind the wheel of the Corvette, attempting unrealistic maneuvers at high speeds.
Judith Stone, president of Advocates for Highway Auto Safety and one of the signatories of the letter to Wagoner, welcomed GM's decision to pull the ad.
“We're delighted that they did the right thing,” she said. Jacuzzi said the ad never was intended to depict a real-life situation.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.