Lead Poisoning

By: Ali Gorman
By: Ali Gorman

Many homes in Lansing have lead pipes that the Board of Water and Light has now said they will be replacing over the next ten years. Dr. Rosenfeld, a pediatrician at Ingham Medical Center, says the amount of lead that comes out of water from lead pipes is very small. He says while any amount is not good, parents and residents in the area should not be alarmed.

Lead poisoning is most commonly caused by inhaling dust from lead-based paint in older homes.

Governor Granholm signed into law that all children in Michigan must be screened for lead poisoning. That law goes into effect in 2006.

Lead poisoning can lead to attention problems, learning difficulties and mental retardation.


WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 877106 - wilx.com/a?a=877106
Gray Television, Inc.