Early Morning Fire Destroys Livingston County Business

By: Lori Dougovito
By: Lori Dougovito

Firefighters say a simple mistake started the blaze, a simple mistake that's caused millions of dollars worth of damage to Industrial Resin Recycling in Howell.

Owner Patrick Cavanaugh says a machine grinding up plastic got jammed. Chief Jim Reed, of the Howell Area Fire Department, says employees apparently used cutting torches to try and free it up, and that's when the fire started. It quickly engulfed two structures containing 200 tons of plastic.

Firefighters from seven local departments stayed throughout the night and into the day Friday fighting the flames and putting out hotspots. The building and everything in it is a total loss. All eight employees inside made it out safely.


WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 873436 - wilx.com/a?a=873436