Firefighters say a simple mistake started the blaze, a simple mistake that's caused millions of dollars worth of damage to Industrial Resin Recycling in Howell.
Owner Patrick Cavanaugh says a machine grinding up plastic got jammed. Chief Jim Reed, of the Howell Area Fire Department, says employees apparently used cutting torches to try and free it up, and that's when the fire started. It quickly engulfed two structures containing 200 tons of plastic.
Firefighters from seven local departments stayed throughout the night and into the day Friday fighting the flames and putting out hotspots. The building and everything in it is a total loss. All eight employees inside made it out safely.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.