Owosso Fire Started in Stairwell

By: Lori Dougovito Email
By: Lori Dougovito Email

Fire investigators say the fire started in the stairwell somewhere between the second and third floor. They're not sure yet what started the deadly Fourth of July fire in downtown Owosso, but accelerants were not used and common causes have been ruled out.

Ten people made it out of the building which housed five apartments. Four females were injured and one male died. As News Ten first reported Thursday, it was Greg Shire, 22 from Owosso, who died in the fire. Autopsy results confirm he died from the fire. His body was badly burned. Deputy Police Chief Michael Rau says it's not clear if it was the smoke or fire that killed him.

Residents and some men who left the building shortly before the fire began have been questioned. Police want to interview the men who left again. It's not clear if the fire was set or if it was an accident.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 8362407 - wilx.com/a?a=8362407