Lightning struck at least four homes in Shiawasee County Thursday morning. The strike caused two gas leaks and a fire.
The lightning first struck a tree in the yard of a home on M-21 in Ovid. The lightning went down the tree and through the ground, before cracking a concrete driveway. The bolt shot a piece of concrete into the roof of the garage and then struck the house, damaging siding and electrical work.
But the bolt didn't stop there. It traveled through the next three houses, before finally stopping four homes away. It caused a gas leak at the home, which then started a fire.
Area fire and police, as well as Consumer's Energy, responded immediately. Crews shut off the gas to as many as 15 homes, and they've been working all day to fix the problem. No injuries have been reported.