Nude Statues May Move

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

The City Council is mulling whether to relocate a bronze sculpture of a nude man to a less visible spot downtown.

Officials are considering switching "Decision Pending" the piece of art in question with the crowd favorite "The Children," bronzed heads of a boy and girl.

"This was to remove some controversy and balance that with the citizens saying we don't necessarily want this and those that want to protect freedom of expression," Mayor Steve Monet told The Detroit News for a story published Monday.

Monet said he also felt "The Children" deserved a more prominent location. "The Children" was the most popular piece among 27 sculptures in an art contest.

The life-size sculpture of the naked man by artist Jay Holland raised eyebrows when it was installed last spring. It finished second in the art contest.

Both pieces are part of the Brighton Biennial, an outdoor art display that opened last year.
Monet told the Livingston County Daily Press & Argus of Howell that the city would be responsible for paying for new foundations.

The council will discuss the switch at its meeting on May 3.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 7155701