"He was drinking a lot of water. He was hiding from us. He just seemed dazed, out of it."
When Cheri Darrow and her family returned from vacation Saturday they couldn't have imagined that three days later their beloved Zima would have to be euthanized.
"I just kept telling him I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I love you. I told him how much we were going to miss him."
After rushing Zima to the vet Monday morning they found out he was suffering from kidney failure - a result, she says, of Menu Foods contaminated products.
Cheri's suspicions were confirmed when she checked the bottom of this Meijer Main Choice chicken dinner and realized the number was a match to one of the recalled cat foods.
"We started feeding it back in December, and now I feel like I was poisoning him everytime I gave him a can of cat food. And that I did it to him."
Friday Menu Foods announced a recall of cans and pouches of wet cat and dog food. It manufactures food for about 50 different brands sold throughout the US, including Meijer Main Choice. Currently the FDA is looking at the ingredient wheat gluten as a possible source of contamination.
"My sadness, my grief, it turned to anger because you assume what you buy in the store is safe."
Veterinarian Dr. Kerry McKinney is the one who verified Zima's kidney failure. She says there are symptoms to look out for.
"Depression, increase thirst, increased urination. If an animal is all of a sudden going through two bowls of water where once they only drank one, if they're getting an owner up in the middle of the night to go outdoors when they hadn't before."
It's advice a little too late for Zima and his family, who now have a large hole in their hearts - forever.
"I can't replace him. He's not replaceable. I'll never have him again."