Canadian Trash Still Coming to Mich.

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

A Macomb County landfill remains a large importer of Canadian trash to Michigan despite an agreement with a waste company last year aimed at curbing imported garbage.

The pact between the county and Waste Management Inc., which operates the Pine Tree Acres landfill, has not stopped the flow of Canadian trash to the site, the Detroit Free Press reported Sunday.

The state Department of Environmental Quality says the landfill gets about half the across-the-border trash sent to Michigan yearly.

"People want to see a reduction right now," said county Commissioner Paul Gieleghem, D-Clinton Township.

But it could take three to four years, since the deal doesn't require an immediate cutback, said Tom Horton, government affairs director for Waste Management. He said the plan was meant to be a long-term strategy.

Macomb County's deal with its county landfill operator Waste Management is designed to limit the amount of Canadian trash to no more than 25 percent of the total waste the landfill takes in each year.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 6429022 - wilx.com/a?a=6429022
Gray Television, Inc.