A Michigan State University student has been hospitalized with a bacterial infection that can be fatal if not treated.
Michigan State is not releasing the name of the student, who is female. But the university has contacted 10 people who were in close enough contact to be infected. Those students are being treated with antibiotics.
The student was admitted to Sparrow Hospital late Thursday.
She contracted meningoccocemia, which affects the blood. It is caused by the same bacteria that causes meningitis, which inflames the lining around the brain.
The bacteria can only spread through very close contact, such as sharing eating utensils or kissing.
Symptoms include a high fever and sudden, severe headache.
wilx.com: Extended Web Coverage
Source: A collection of web reports contributed to this report