The day before Brandon Cassel leaves Sparrow Hospital for the first time in five months. He's making thank you cards for his classmates for remembering his birthday.
"It made me feel special," said Brandon.
In June, Brandon suffered from a severe fever and within minutes of arriving at Sparrow's emergency room, a rash spread throughout his body.
Doctors found Brandon had Meningococcemia, a blood stream infection caused by a bacteria that can lead to meningitis.
"It hasn't affected his learning ability or his brain. He's doing remarkably well," said Dr. Amy Lindmark.
The infection caused several organs to fail and doctors had no choice but to amputate some fingers and a foot. But Brandon never lost his positive spirit and his parents say without it, neither Brandon nor his family would have survived.
"He's encouraging me more than I encourage him. He's been a solid rock though this whole thing," said Jerry Cassel, Brandon's dad.
Now as he looks forward to going home, he's giving thanks once again: to the friends he's made at Sparrow who've made the last five months a little easier.
wilx.com: Extended Web Coverage
Source: A collection of web reports contributed to this report