From Patrick Delahanty: "The original "Movin' & Groovin'" Flower. What an ugly piece of crap. I got it for $27 (with free shipping) on eBay. Good luck trying to find one now."
"This is the same flower with the head, leaves, and pink vinyl removed."
"I covered the stem in muslin. I pinned it in place before the next step."
"Next, I proceeded to cover the entire thing in hot glue. My idea was to have that simulate the bark and it would look nice and textured after I panted it.
I discovered the next morning that this was a VERY BAD IDEA! The stem would no longer move. I cut the hot glue wrap off and started from scratch. (I'm glad I didn't glue directly to the original stem!)"
"Needing something that would bend more than that dried hot glue idea, I covered the stem in tan felt. I then wrapped the felt in twine with a twisty pattern in order to give it some good texture. I spot-glued the felt and twine in place. I would have the body rotate so that it stretched it out before I glued it down so that I could be sure it would continue to dance after all the glue was applied. (Yes, I learned my lesson.)"
"Next, I blended the felt and twine together to make it look more like a stick. I used brown and tan acrylic paint. I used mostly brown at the bottom and mostly tan at the top, but spots of both throughout. Just trying to make it more natural and less like twine and felt."
"My fiancee (who has an art degree and natural talent) sculpted the head out of Crayola Model Magic. She used sculpting tools to get the details in there. Model Magic isn't the best stuff in the world and the result is still a bit soft several days later, but it's lighter than clay and other options. The "hair" bits are rather fragile. The eyes (which were removed before painting) are black beads."
"'I AM GROOT!'
The finished product.
The arms were made with wire that was wrapped in paper. (Check the floral section of your local Michael's craft store.) I braided the wire and then wrapped it with twine. The arms then got a paint job and were hot glued to the body. The head (which had a hole in the bottom that we could stick the stem into) was hot glued on. We then applied more paint to touch up and spots that needed it.
Happy little trees.
After getting the Movin' & Groovin' flower (good luck finding one), it cost around $10 and one trip to Michael's for the crafting supplies. Grand total (excluding art degrees, gas, etc) was about $40. ...but Groot is ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR SALE!"
"This is Groot with "Freddy" (the resident raccoon at the TWiT Brickhouse) posing as Rocket. Buddies!"