ABC Cancels Daytime Soap Operas

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

ABC is canceling the soap operas "All My Children" and "One Life to Live," both programs that have been on the network's daytime lineup for more than 40 years.
The move leaves "General Hospital" as ABC's only daytime drama.
ABC's daytime department president Brian Frons said Thursday that "viewers are looking for different types of programming these days."
Soap operas have slowly been fading as a TV force, with many of the women who made up the target audience now in the work force. ABC will air two new shows, one about food and the other about lifestyle transformations.
ABC did not immediately say when the soap operas would go off the air.

• by Denise Location: Florida on Sep 6, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    HOW COULD YOU DO THIS....THIS IS SO MEAN OF YOU...WE HAVE WATCHED THESE TWO WONDERFUL SOAPS FOR OVER 40 YEARS..SHAME ON YOU FRONS...YOU NEED TO GO, NOT THE SOAPS.hOW COULD YOU BE IN CHARGE..IT IS OBVIOUS YOU DO NOT CARE WHAT THE PUBLIC THINKS OR WANTS..A FOOD SHOW?? THAT IN ITSELF PROVES YOU HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE.
  • by Tiffany Location: WV on Apr 22, 2011 at 06:45 PM
    My family and I have been watching One life to Live for years. It all started with my mom constantly watching it and I grew on hooked the same way. I'm only 23 and my sister is 26 and she is more obsessed than me. The thing is we record the shows on DVR and don't watch them but after weeks and watch them all at once and also we before that we watched it on soap net. So, I found out that effects the ratings. It's like you can always count on watching one life to live it's like it becomes apart of you. You always have something to talk about. I know my family and I will be very very disappointed over this cancellation.
  • by Jean Location: fp, ca on Apr 19, 2011 at 06:01 PM
    I have watched these programs for nearly 40 years. If you want to save money, get rid of some of the kid story lines and stick to the regulars. They are the reasons we watch. It is like reading a good book everyday. I will never watch the new shows.
  • by Pam Boyer Location: US on Apr 19, 2011 at 03:08 PM
    IF THE SOAPS ARE CANCELLED SO WILL MY WATCHING OF ALL DAYTIME ABC. I WILL ALSO BOYCOTT ANY SPONSORS OF THE NEW REALITY SHOWS. ENOUGH WITH THEM ALREADY!
  • by Carol Barker Location: United States on Apr 19, 2011 at 08:10 AM
    NOOOOOOOOOO, don't cancel AMC. What is wrong with you people. What we don't need is another reality/talk/cooking show. Just look at Oprah's network. It isn't worth watching. I am giving up on ABC. ABC should be called GAY B C because every show they produce has a gay theme. I am not anti gay, just tired of it being in every single thing that I watch. Give us a break. NO, I am taking a break from ABC.
  • by danielle on Apr 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    I am done with abc day and night
  • by JENNIE MCALISTER Location: GREENWOOD, SC on Apr 18, 2011 at 08:25 AM
    I have watched OLTL since I was 13 yrs old. I will be 50 very soon & I think its a crying shame to cancel this program. This my favorite show.
  • by Linda Location: Ohio on Apr 17, 2011 at 05:26 PM
    I can't believe they are cancelling All My Children - I have watched since the beginning - Susan & I grew up together :) I watched OLTL some of the time but always AMC. Nothing will replace soap operas. I love them all - many have already gone by the wayside - remember The Doctors, Edge of Night, Ryan's Hope, As The World Turns. The best acting on tv is on the soaps. So sad. Farewell Erica Kane!!!! You will be sorely missed.
  • by Brenda Location: Michigan on Apr 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    BAD BAD BAD decision!!!! Disney/ABC does not care for the loyal viewers that they have had for these last 40 years. I can only pray that Oprah, CBs, or NBC can see what an opportunity it would be for them to scoop these two shows right up and ABC's ratings for their new proposed lifestle shows tank!!! Will be seeking another station to watch until my beloved General Hospital comes on and who knows when it will be cancelled now! Sincerly, A 40 year viewer who is very saddened.
  • by Anonymous Location: Arkansas on Apr 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Please save AMC and OLTL!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119861669 - wilx.com/a?a=119861669