Michigan GOP Changes Primary Delegate Rules

By: News 10 / AP
By: News 10 / AP

Michigan GOP officials have voted to change the way they award 30 delegates from the presidential primary, a day after the tally showed native son Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum each getting 15.
The Michigan Republican Party Credentials Committee voted 4-2 Wednesday night to instead award 16 delegates to Romney and 14 to Santorum.
Twenty-eight of Michigan's delegates were awarded based on the results in each of the state's 14 congressional districts. Two went to the winner of each district. Romney and Santorum each won seven districts, so those 28 delegates were split.
Party rules say the final two delegates were supposed to be awarded proportionally, based on the statewide vote. That would result in one apiece. Instead, the credentials committee voted to give both delegates to Romney.
The Santorum campaign released a blistering statement calling it "backroom dealing political thuggery" and is asking the Republican National Committee to intervene.

• by Anonymous on Mar 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    This should be of no surprise to anyone in this State. If you recall last election when Snyder picked Calley as a running mate after his Senate primary win. The Republican establishment pick a non candidate, rather than the second place finisher (Mike Trebesh) to run in the general election for the senate seat. I have not been a republican since GW Bush's first term. Repub's are no better than the Dem's, they are both responsible for the demise of this country.
  • by Non_Anon Location: Michigan on Mar 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    So, the State Republican Board wants to change the agreed upon rules after the vote. Was it because their candidate did so poorly in his 'home' state? What an example to set: if things don't go the way we want after we agreed to play by these rules, we'll just change the rules so we'll win.
  • by Kerry Location: Lansing on Mar 3, 2012 at 06:46 PM
    Michigan, We may need to rally to the National Convention this year and make our presence and voices known that our elected officials acted rogue and rigged the race for Romney. I used to speak strongly about republicans being primarily prinicpalists and Democrats being circumstantialists but I see that I was gravely mistaken. Some republicans are just as much weasels. Michigan lets rally to the National Delegation come summer! Snyder, Cox you owe Michigan voters an apology what you did is below the belt. This only shows that you did not think that Romney could win without you rigging the race for him. It doesn't matter who I voted for this past Tue. I know who I am voting for in Nov. PERIOD!!!
      by Anonymous on Mar 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM in reply to Kerry
      We tried that in the 60's and all it got us was arrested. It is in who runs, and who and what you vote for. Only problem is most politicians are liars and will tell you what ever you want to hear to get elected.
  • by Kerry Location: Lansing on Mar 3, 2012 at 06:33 PM
    HHHMMM, Republicans are suppose to be primarily principalists. I used to consider myself a republican. This is disgusting and Governor Snyder and Michael Cox should be shamed and called to account. That is absolutely wrong what they did. Michigan, it does not matter who you voted for we all need to stand up and shout FOUL! Allowing them to change the rules to give extra delegates to Romney is undermining the voting system. If we allow that to happen we will soon lose our right to vote and for our voice to be heard. If Romney was a man of character, he would stand up and say that he, himself would not allow this to happen that the people of MI spoke (not the powers that be that discredit the people of MI votes) and the delegates need to be split evenly as they were to begin with. This shows you the character and content of this politician. I am no longer a republican, I am a conservative who stands up for values. Even when they are hard. The fact is Romney and Santorum TIED no matter how the powers that be RIGGED and twisted it. Being this is Romneys state and he had such backing, I would say that this actually means it was a huge win for Santorum! No matter who I voted for in the Primary my vote is assured now! I will not vote for such a man that lacks value/character and backbone to stand up and say, "I will not allow MI to rig the primary for my account." Super Tue. Romney you will no longer get my vote. Michgan stand up and shout loud come super Tuesday that we WILL NOT let elected officials fix the rates and rig a win!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 2, 2012 at 02:52 PM
    Both parties changes the rules midstream. If Jesse Ventura would run for president with the Arnold as his SOS and Hogan secretary of defense, we might get something productive out of washington. Or we might have some better wrestling matches.
  • by Disgusted! on Mar 2, 2012 at 01:37 PM
    Politics at it's finest? Now here is another reason why the majority of us are fed up with politicans. Why bother to vote, they will just put in whom they want. Think it's time for us to do some political house cleaning.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 2, 2012 at 06:37 AM
    Isn't this called stacking the deck. Even if I cann't stand Santorum, and think he is an idiot, this isn't right.
  • by Anon on Mar 2, 2012 at 05:22 AM
    This shows there is no difference between democrats and "establishment" republicans. Legally with contracts, whatever was agreed to stands. Doesn't matter that the memo sent out had an error leading all to believe the delegates would be split evenly. Like it or not, that is the rule you agreed to when it was presented to the candidates. Trying to correct the rule to what you intended after the vote IS changing the rule after the vote. We the People are done with the dirty parlor tricks. Either split it evenly again or find another job.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 141134353 - wilx.com/a?a=141134353