Debate Highlights Differences Between Candidates

By: Lauren Zakalik Email
By: Lauren Zakalik Email

The men didn't waste much time getting into it over differences in social security. The candidates from the 7th Congressional District seat point fingers at the other for being out of touch.

"I want to make sure everyone understands the choice here. This is a radical idea, privatizing social security," Schauer says of his opponent's position.

"I think we all know, other than my opponent who continues to want to whistle to the graveyard, it's a social security system that is broken," Walberg says.

The race between incumbent Mark Schauer and challenger Tim Walberg is one of the most expensive in the nation, with millions of dollars being poured into ads-- ads some say are too negative. The men respond.

"I don't think the ad with my 95-year-old mother is negative. I'm sorry, Mark, that she's said to me and my twin that 'Mark Schauer is full of baloney,'" Walberg says.

"Most of the ads that I've been running directly from my campaign are Tim Walberg's own words; he says outsourcing is good, that we're getting jobs back from China," Schauer says.

The crowd in the debate was half the story Thursday at the debate at Jackson Community College; supporters from both sides were vocal, even when asked to remain quiet.

In the end, the candidates hope people see the difference between them.

"Over my dead body will social security be privatized or Medicare eliminated," Schauer says.

"The only check and balance will be Tim Walberg," Walberg says.

Both men have served one term in U.S. Congress.

• by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2010 at 05:57 AM
    Walberg thinks outside of the socialist constrants of the democrat party. We need someone in there repeal the health care acts because that hurts our nation. It hurts the middle class because we can no longer find companies with nice policies. Our employers will get taxed if they offer more than what the government will provide and our insurances will go up because the insurance companies can not control cost.
  • by Anonymous Location: Delta Township on Oct 23, 2010 at 02:36 PM
    I is quite apparent that Jason Colthorp is either on Walberg payroll or contributing member of the GOP. As a Nielsen Family we are able to vote for or against Wilx also. After Colthorp's dog and pony show 2 years ago, my family voted. Walberg lied 2 years ago in a Colthorp facilitated debate , lied again in this year's primary debate that he facilitated and I challenged Colthorp to ensure it not happen again...of course if fell on deaf ears. TIM WALBERG VOTED FOR THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE DURING HIS ONLY TERM IN OFFICE. AS MUCH AS HE WANTS TO LIE ABOUT IT THE FACTS ARE REAL: http://blog.mlive.com/capitolchronicles/2008/06/tim_walberg_votes_for_bridge_t.html http://origin.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2007/05/The-Water-Resources-Development-Act-of-2007-A-Pork-Fest-for-Wealthy-Beach-Front-Property-Owners http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2007/roll234.xml
  • by Steve Location: Jackson on Oct 22, 2010 at 07:34 PM
    I did not know who I was going to vote for until I watched this debate. The answer is now clear: Mark Schauer is better for this district that Tim Walberg is. Mr. Walberg has supported the oursourcing of jobs away from Michigan while Mr. Schauer has tried hard and succeeded at keeping old jobs and getting new jobs for his district. Different subject/same story: Virg Bernero for Governor makes more sense than Rick Snyder. He apparently sold his company (Gateway Computers) and cost the US thousands of jobs by shipping them overseas. Michigan does not need this type of 'leadership' now. What it does need are the type of people that will fight for our state and the people of this state, and it seems clear that Mark Schauer and Virg Bernero are the better choice than their opponents. My mind is now made up and hopefully, the people of Michigan will see past the slanderous propaganda on TV and vote for the future of Michigan.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 22, 2010 at 04:57 AM
    It doesn't matter who wins there will be people that think the wrong man got elected. From what I have seen both of them are less than perfect, and have made some big mistakes.
  • by FactCheck Location: MI-7 district on Oct 21, 2010 at 03:28 PM
    The debate helped me make up my mind: Schauer will be getting my vote. Walberg is wrong: outsourcing is NOT good for our country. NAFTA and CFTA should never have been enacted or supported; the selling-out of America's wokers into joblessness and poverty so that the business CEOs could give themselves larger bonuses and salaries. When Walberg was in Congress, he supported Big Business and Big Oil at the expense of the people in his district. How many people in the 7th District are unemployed? Trying to survive on unemployment benefits and food stamps because their jobs were outsourced? We do not need another two years of Walberg.
  • by Irene Location: Charlotte on Oct 21, 2010 at 08:03 AM
    It's too bad that Mr Schauer wasn't able to answer direct questions and stay on the topic that the host was asking, if the hadn't interrupted and directed him back to the question, we wouldn't have had the chance to hear his answer. Look at the candidates voting records. Schauer voted to cut $500 BILLION dollars from the Medicare fund from seniors and the governments deficit spending of over 1 TRILLION dollars. That's not a bright spot to me. How can anyone trust a candidate that deceitfully takes only parts of a persons statements and then spins them around to mean something entirely different. Some people call that politics, I call that SHAMEFUL!
  • by Steve Location: Potterville on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    I thought the debate was interesting to watch. The audience was rather rude to both candidates. After watching the debate, I was able to conclude which candidate I would vote for in November. Mr Schauer came across to me as a candidate that had a positive message for the voters.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2010 at 09:31 PM
    It's too bad that Mr. Schauer would stay on topic and give a direct answer as asked by the debate host, then the host would not have to interrupt to keep him on the topic so that we could get his answer to the questions asked. Juat look at Mr. Schauer's voting record and it is very clear that he voted to take $500 BILLION dollars from the Medicare fund from seniors. Along with the TRILLION dollars of deficit government spending. That's not what I consider a bright spot. That's what I consider shameful!
  • by Marcy Location: Jackson on Oct 20, 2010 at 08:27 PM
    Social Security IS a ponzi scheme - Congress violated the "trust" years ago. Mark Schauer acknowleged tonight that workers today are paying for their parents - and our kids will pay for us with an ever increasing TAX - THAT is a ponzi scheme - there are fewer and fewer workers for every recipient - maybe because our generation killed the workers who would have supported us by abortion. Schauer and his party think they can just pretend it is alright but the facts are that TODAY the fund pays out more than it takes in. Obviously, Social Security is NOT the "pay-go" Mr. Schauer claims to support. We are crushing the heads of our children and grandchildren with a burden of debt, Mr. Schauer. Tell THAT to the old fogies on your campaign ad. (I qualify for social security and yes, paid into it for 50 years)
  • by francine Location: charlotte on Oct 20, 2010 at 08:26 PM
    The debate didn't tell us much of either candidates, they spent more time talking about the other than about themselves, mostly Schauer, he never answered a question directly. That puts me off. I agreed with getting China out of the U.S. but neither man has enough power to do anything about that. It will take alot. All in all I am favoring Walberg..And people need to know more about privatizing Social Security, it isn't a bad idea, I'm a senior and S.S.isn't in good shape. Walberg told the truth about the Gov. borrowing from it. Been going on for years..I also support the Right To Life..Walberg again..Thank You.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 105387453 - wilx.com/a?a=105387453