Woman Killed by Fire Blamed on Wood-Burning Furnace

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Authorities in central Michigan say a 41-year-old woman died in a fire that apparently started with the wood-heating system of her home.
Gratiot County Sheriff Doug Wright says the fire broke out late Sunday at the rented house in Ithaca, about 35 miles west-southwest of Saginaw.
He says that Melissa Franks died of smoke inhalation, and the fire also killed her two dogs.
The sheriff says Franks was the only resident of the house and says the fire apparently originated with the wood stove and the badly clogged chimney. He also says the home's two smoke detectors apparently weren't working.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 234170651