UPDATE: Naked Man Attacks Police Officers

By  | 

In a cell phone video News 10 obtained, blood-curdling screams can be heard coming from a Meridian Township police officer as she was being attacked by a man Sunday afternoon.

Officers were called to the Walden Pond apartments for a naked man going through mailboxes. As soon as police arrived, 26-year-old Ronald Ray Ruhl resisted arrest and had to be tased.

Three officers were sent to the hospital after the attack and have since been released.

Eye witnesses who live at the complex on West Pond Drive couldn't believe their eyes.

"Wow! This is like real live 'Cops' [the television show]. So I was like, I gotta get this on film. This is crazy," Bridget Kassab said.

But that light-hearted reaction quickly turned to terror for neighbors. The naked Ruhl lashed out at police, biting two officers and injuring another during the fight that lasted at least 15 minutes.

"I saw her pull her glove down, and I just saw a bunch of blood, and it just looked really gross," Kassab said.

Another witness said Ruhl was throwing haymakers, and nothing was slowing him down.

"He just starts pummeling them right in the face, all over like that," John Cooper said.

Police tased Ruhl once, but that didn't subdue him enough. They tased him at least one more time, and also threatened Ruhl with a K-9 unit.

Finally with the strength of four officers and several other agencies assisting, they were able to get him in handcuffs. Police believe Ruhl was on drugs.

"We have an obligation when we come across an individual in the condition this man was in to try and help him, and in the course of doing so, he attacked our officers, and they used what I believe is appropriate force," Meridian Township Police Department's Lt. Greg Frenger said.

The neighbors who saw it all happen agree: Ruhl violently resisted police from the moment they showed up, despite their warnings.

"They did everything they possibly could to warn him of action that would be taken, yelling 'Please! Get down, get down!'" Cooper said.

Kassab is thankful for law enforcement's efforts.

"They responded very quickly. I think they did a really great job," Kassab said.

It's a job that's left three officers off the job - for now.

"Our biggest concern is the safety of the officers right now," Lt. Frenger said.

Police won't elaborate on the extent of their fellow officers' injuries, and they're not sure when they'll return to work.

Ruhl was arraigned in the hospital Monday afternoon. He's charged with four felonies and two misdemeanors. His bond was set at $100,000.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus