(Credit: MGN Online)
Two St. Johns families with young children are without homes after a fire destroyed the home where they lived.
St. Johns Chief of Police Mike Madden said in a phone call Thursday morning that flames were shooting out of a window when firefighters arrived Wednesday night. Bitter cold temperatures and blowing winds hampered the efforts of the three agencies that fought the blaze.
St. Johns, Fowler, and Clinton Area Fire & Rescue responded to the call, which came in at about 9:50 PM. The Clinton Area Ambulance Service also responded.
All seven occupants of the home were transported to Clinton Sparrow for smoke inhalation and are believed to have been treated and released.
Officials believe the started on the first floor of the older home on the 300 block of North Whittemore (Business 27). The house had been divided into two aparments; one with two adults and five-year-old; the other with two adults and a five, eight, and ten-year-old.
The cause of the fire is unknown at this time. Madden says the Fire Marshall will be called this morning.