Dozens of Summit Township residents are finally getting back into their homes this morning after a chlorine leak at a nearby plant forced them to evacuate.
The chlorine leaks were found at about 5 p.m. on Sunday in three of the five containers at a water treatment plant substation on Christopher Road.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Department called a hazmat team to haul away the leaking containers to ensure they do not crack again.
Chlorine is commonly used as a disinfectant for water supplies, but it can cause respiratory problems in high concentrations. That's why people in the surrounding area were asked to evacuate their homes as a precaution, while crews worked to contain the leak.
"I was sitting in the house and a policewoman came to the door and she just knocked and said we needed to evacuate and that there was a chlorine smell and I could smell a little bit," said Anne Boomstra. "I'm just really glad they caught it in time before it came to a big, bad disaster."
Residents were able to get back into their homes a little past 6 a.m. this morning.