Squirrel Cooking May Have Caused Fire

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

HOLLAND TOWNSHIP -- Authorities say a blaze that displaced dozens of people from a southwest Michigan apartment complex may have been sparked by a resident trying to cook a squirrel with a propane torch.
Fire Chief Jim Kohsel tells MLive.com that the resident apparently planned to eat the animal and was burning off its fur on a third-floor deck at the building in Ottawa County's Holland Township when the fire broke out Wednesday. Flames spread to the roof. Kohsel says eight apartments are destroyed and others damaged.
The resident's name wasn't immediately released.
Kohsel says a firefighter broke a toe. No residents were injured.
Resident Tiffany Camburn told The Holland Sentinel that she and her neighbors had to evacuate their apartments.
The American Red Cross arranged temporary shelter and clothing for displaced residents.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 173715121 - wilx.com/a?a=173715121
Gray Television, Inc.