Intoxicated Patient Sets Hospital Bed On Fire

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- An intoxicated patient and an imaginary cigarette resulted in two people suffering burns and minor damage to a University of Michigan Hospital bed.

University public safety spokeswoman Diane Brown said Sunday that the emergency room patient "was trying to light a non-existent cigarette."

Brown says the man "thought he had one," but set the bedding on fire at the Ann Arbor facility.

The patient was burned, as was a nurse who tried to put the fire out about 10:20 p.m. Saturday.

Hospital staff extinguished the flames before firefighters arrived. The fire was contained to the bed. No evacuations were necessary.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 175159471 - wilx.com/a?a=175159471