Inspecting Carbon Monoxide House

By: Brian Johnson Email
By: Brian Johnson Email

Inspectors are busy checking a Lansing home today after all the people inside were poisoned by carbon monoxide Wednesday morning. Today we're learning more about what happened leading up to the incident.

Wednesday morning around 2:35, 911 got a call from a Lansing home on Tenny Street. The victims said they woke up passing out, falling and hitting there heads, clearly disoriented and not knowing what was wrong.

Now they are doing much better, with six of the seven out of the hospital after receiving treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning.

The home belongs to the Lansing Housing Authority.

Patricia Baines-Lake, Ex. Dir. Lansing Housing Commission, said, "Our concern is the family. We want to do everything possible to make sure if there is a problem that we should be aware of we apply that across our entire portfolio."

The authority has more than 800 homes. The little red square in the window means the residence is not safe. Thursday inspectors were busy taking pictures and measurements while a cleaning crew showed up to do a deep clean.

Janice Miller, a neighbor, said, "It makes you think about making sure you have the carbon monoxide detectors in your home."

The Lansing Fire Department says the furnace was the source of the carbon monoxide.

As of 2009, Michigan requires new residential constructions to have carbon monoxide detectors. The home where the incident happened was built before then. It's a powerful reminder that if you don't have a carbon monoxide detector, you should think about getting one.


WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 199443371 - wilx.com/a?a=199443371