Michigan State Police Lieutenant David Cook was one of the first to arrive at the scene at meth lab explosion at an un-named apartment complex in at 2940 Cambria Road in Hillsdale County Thursday night.
"The place was an absolute mess. In ten years of dealing with meth labs, this is the first time I've seen an explosion cause this much damage."
The blast happened in the bathroom of a one-bedroom apartment. Police say one man was trying to make meth a plastic pop bottle while two friends were watching a movie on the couch.
The instant he opened the door with the chemicals, the vapors mixed with the air, and caused the explosion. It's an odd sight with hardly any burn marks.
"The windows were blown out, some of the blinds were laying on a roof, there was a coleman fuel can, coffee filters, glass laying outside the place several feet away from the window," Cook continued.
All of the materials made it clear to police what had happened, even though one of the suspects claimed the explosion came from the oven.
"The oven wasn't damaged at all," Cook described.
The man making the so-called "shake-and-bake" meth was badly injured and had to be air lifted to a hospital in Toledo, Ohio.
"He was burned up pretty bad. He has some burns on the inside of his mouth."
Police say the other two escaped injury. One was taken into custody Thursday and the second turn himself in Friday.
Stay with News 10 for updates on this developing story.