The first case of a heroin overdose Jackson Police had seen in a while was on Steward st. near the Jackson High School on August 8.
Now there's been three more since Friday; on Page ave, Madison Street, and in the parking lot of the CVS on Ganson st. None of those users died.
"It raises our level of concern that the drug is becoming a little more prevalent, or that there may be a bad batch or something wrong that's circulating," said Deputy Chief of Jackson Police John Holda.
These cases are being further investigated by narcotics expert Lieutenant Dave Cook of the Michigan State Police. He says what is more likely happening is people are getting stronger heroin than their used to, but giving themselves the same dosage; never knowing from looking at it how it can affect them until they try it.
"You can just about get heroin anywhere," Cook continued. He's noticing a rise in Jackson: "Heroin has become the drug of choice."
Especially since it's cheaper than cocaine: "I've seen them in $10, $20, $30, and $40 packets. The most common is the $10-20 range here in Jackson."
Drug dealers wrap the heroin in small paper packages they call bindles; about the size of a finger nail. A small bindle costs about $10, and lasts for about a half hour.
But even first time customers often go back and spend much more: "It's probably the most addictive drug out there."
Even though the people who overdosed didn't die, police tell me they still have a long road ahead of them before they are healthy again.