WYOMING, Mich. (AP) -- An 8-year-old boy in the Grand Rapids area has died, a likely victim of bacterial meningitis.
Ethan Giang died suddenly Thursday. St. John Vianney School in Wyoming told parents that bacterial meningitis is not considered contagious like a cold or flu. Principal Gregg Bruno says he wants to "convey fact and dispel fear."
Nonetheless the school was scrubbed after Ethan's death. The third-grader's funeral Mass is scheduled for Monday at St. John Vianney Catholic Church.
High fever, a headache and a stiff neck are symptoms of bacterial meningitis.