Drunk Driver In Jackson Leads Police On Chase

By  | 

"Get your hands up. Get on the ground. Get on the ground. Face the door," said Sheriff's Deputy Thomas Freedman as he arrested Derrick Lester.

Lester was arraigned Wednesday for fleeing and eluding.

The 34-year-old ran a stop sign and refused to pull over. It started around 6:45 Tuesday night.

"The deputy estimated his speed through this four-way intersection, which is a 25 mile-per-hour zone, to be almost 60 miles per hour." Undersheriff Christopher Kuhl of the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.

In the dash-camera video on the left, you can see Lester's 1997 GMC Yukon run the sign.

Now the entire front of the SUV is destroyed. It's being held at Phelps Towing east of Jackson.

The chase lasted less than a minute. It ended, near the intersection of Greenwood and Wilkins, not because the suspect pulled over, but because his vehicle broadsided a truck.

If you look closely you can see Lester's break lights come on, he broadsides a truck, and the truck and its lights come swinging toward the camera.

A family of four was inside that truck---a man, his wife and two kids, ages 8 and 9. None of them were physically hurt, but it will be a night they will remember for a long time.

Lester was taken to Allegiance Hospital to be treated for a cut on his arm.

Deputy Chief Holda of the said the truck wasn't the first vehicle he hit Tuesday.

"We learned that, the vehicle prior to being involved in the pursuit with the sheriff's deputy had struck a few vehicles at other parts at the north end of the city," said Deputy Chief John Holda of the Jackson Police Department.

Officers are glad Lester is off the streets and no one had major injuries, because it could have been a lot worse.

Lester is being held on felonious assault charges from the City of Jackson because of at least one accident he caused prior to the police chase.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus