Drivers Can File Claims for Damage Done by Potholes

By: News 10
By: News 10

The Michigan Department of Transportation has a claims process for drivers whose vehicles are damaged by hitting a pothole, but certain conditions apply.

The pothole must be on a state trunkline--- a highway with an M, I or US prefix, like M-43, I-96 or US-127. Other roads fall under the control of counties, cities or villages.

To prove a highway defect claim, state law requires a driver to show that MDOT failed to maintain the highway in reasonable repair. The driver must show that MDOT knew of the condition and had an opportunity to repair it, or that the condition existed for more than 30 days. Few claims are eligible for payment because potholes develop quickly.

Click on the link within this article for the website with the claim form and more information. is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. Comments may take up to 24 hours or longer to appear on the site.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 245406361 -
Gray Television, Inc.