DANGER: Don't Use a Blowtorch to Thaw Pipes

By: News 10
By: News 10

The man renting a home on Elm Rd. in Webberville tells News 10 he started a fire there Friday evening when using a blowtorch to thaw a frozen water pipe.

The man and his daughter got out safely.

The American Red Cross recommends the following options for thawing pipes:

--electric heating pad
--hair dryer
--space heater
--wrap pipes in towel soaked in hot water

Blowtorches and other open flames are too dangerous.

You can prevent pipes inside the house from freezing by running a steady trickle of water.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 250415511 - wilx.com/a?a=250415511