Baby Burned After Brother Sets Blanket on Fire

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

MONROE, Mich. (AP) -- A 7-month-old girl has been severely burned after her older brother apparently set fire to a crib blanket in their southeast Michigan home.

The Monroe News reports Saturday that the child is in intensive care with third-degree burns over 15 percent of her body.

Monroe police Sgt. Charles McCormick IV tells the newspaper that the baby was asleep in her nursery Friday morning and it appears her 4-year-old brother was playing with a lighter when the fire started. The flames spread to the crib mattress.

Their parents rushed to the nursery and poured water on the flames after hearing smoke alarms.

The baby suffered burns to her left side, back, head and a hand.

Monroe is about 35 miles southwest of Detroit.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 255032421 - wilx.com/a?a=255032421
Gray Television, Inc.