PORTAGE, Mich. (AP) -- Authorities say a 50-year-old man has been injured in an explosion while trying to make fireworks at his home in southwestern Michigan.
The Kalamazoo Gazette reports officers were called around 10:15 p.m. Tuesday to the home in Portage. Public safety Lt. John Blue says a suspected methamphetamine lab also was found at the scene, but that's being investigated separately.
Battalion Chief Rick Palmer says there was a "huge explosion" at the home. He says the man apparently was attempting to use raw explosives to make fireworks in his kitchen. The man was burned, but details on the extent of his injuries weren't available Wednesday morning.
Windows were blown out on the home, located about 55 miles south of Grand Rapids, and it appeared that the garage also sustained damage.