ADRIAN, Mich. (AP) -- Police in southern Michigan have lifted a safety advisory after a chemical release led them to ask residents to stay in their homes as a precaution.
Adrian police and fire officials on Friday afternoon ended the chemical emergency declared earlier in the day at Dairy Farmers of America. That's where a barrel containing 30 to 35 gallons of nitric acid was letting off gas after reacting with a small amount of sodium hydroxide.
Police say there were no injuries or threat to public safety, and limited property loss. The Lenawee County hazardous materials team had been the scene along with the county's emergency management office.
Adrian is about 60 miles southwest of Detroit.