Matthew Macon was formally charged Wednesday afternoon in the death of 64-year-old Sandra Eichorn. He faces two other charges stemming from the attack on another woman on Jones Street in Lansing.
During a brief court hearing, Macon was charged with open murder, first degree home invasion and assault with intent to do great bodily harm less then murder. Being a habitual offender could affect the way he is sentenced if he is convicted on any of these charges.
Mike O'Briant, Macon's defense attorney, did not ask for a psychiatric evaluation. "His state of mind is good, that's why we did not send him to forensics," says O'Briant. Macon did not plead innocent or guilty Wednesday.
District Court Judge Patrick Cherry issued a gag order for all government officials. It extends to everyone involved in the case says O'Briant. They can not discuss any specifics of the case with the media.
O'Briant says he asked for the gag order because of comments made by Mayor Virg Bernero and Police Chief Mark Alley made at press conferences last week. Comments directly connecting Macon to six murders and one assault, "...that they actually caught the killer," says O'Briant.
Police say Macon is the suspect in the deaths of five women since the end of July and an attack on a sixth woman who managed to escape alive. He is also suspected in the 2004 killing of another woman and a series of assaults dating back to 2003.
Macon was arrested last week on charges unrelated to the latest wave of crime.
He remains in jail after bond was denied on the murder charge. Judge Cherry set bond for the remaining charges at $500,000.
Macon will be back in court at the end of October for preliminary hearings on all of his charges.
Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III says he is pleased with the investigation so far, pleased with the progress being made. Police continue to work on the other cases they believe Macon is responsible for.