Electronics Could Put Students At Risk

By  | 

There's a bit more on the market nowadays than when their moms and dads went to school.

"Refrigerator, fans, computer," said one student."

Not to mention big screen TV's, video game consoles, surround sound systems, and of course lenty of fans to keep cool. You'll find them all and more in MSU dorms.

"Students want the comforts of home when they come to college."

Residence Hall Director Angela Brown says with those luxuries comes an added risk. That's why they provide a checklist to students.

"We supply them with information on which appliances they can and can't have in the hall."

According to those rules, students cannot cook in dorms...meaning no toasters, hot plates or grills. It's those types of items that have cause dorm fires to double nationwide in the past seven years.

Brown says MSU is aware of the risk and they are constantly improving the university's system.

"We've been adding electrical capacity or replacing the electrical system in the halls to be able to handle the items students are bringing to school today."

Still, students aren't letting the fear of fire or overloading circuits stop them from using every last outlet.

"I actually bought a surge protector and that's going to help with bringing everything in," said freshman Mark Sikorski.

Just to maximize the plugs," added first year student Megan Simmons. "We have lots of straighteners, curling irons going on around here. Phone chargers, that kind of thing."

MSU only inspects dorms during winter break. Other than that, students are on the honor system. University Housing has no way of knowing what's inside everyone's dorm and what could be putting others at risk.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus