For the second time in two weeks, a gas line ruptures in Lansing on Tuesday. It was contractors working on the downtown sewer project.
"The contractor was probing or searching around for the utilities using a rod that they push in the ground," said Chad Gamble, Lansing's director of public service.
The gas main break is in an alley in the 100 block of West Allegen Street. KNR Contractors is in charge of the sewer project.
"The contractors were doing a good job making sure they were trying to protect the utilities," said Gamble. "The map did not have the most current information."
Consumers Energy is in charge of the gas line. The provided maps for the contractors. They say a two-inch plastic distribution main was struck.
According to Gamble, no one was sent to the hospital, but a building was evacuated, and 11 businesses were effected.
That brings the total number of gas leaks to five, dating back to July of 2004. More than 3,000 people have been forced to evacuate because of the leaks, and that number has some concerned.
"There are now some incidents where I am beginning to question, and I am looking at the pattern, what seems to be a pattern of mistakes," said Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero.
In this case, Gamble says it was simply a mistake.
"These gas main breaks were unfortunately based on the fact that the contractors were doing all the right things, taking all the right precautions," said Gamble.