A Smoke Alarm Could Have Saved Two Jackson Residents

By: Lori Dougovito Email
By: Lori Dougovito Email

A cigarette or other smoking material started the fire on the living room couch. There was not a working smoke alarm in the home.

Kimberly Lawhorn, 10, and Donald Jones, 40, died in the early Friday morning fire on Fourth Street in Jackson. Kimberly's mother, Patricia Lawhorn, 43, was still in critical condition as of late Friday afternoon.

The fire started in the upstairs apartment of the duplex they lived in around one a.m. All were unconscious when they were brought out of the home, Kimberly and Donald died at the hospital.

Kimberly was in the 5th grade at Northwest Elementary School. Counselors began telling students about her death Friday afternoon. They will be available for students and staff as long as needed.

Donations are being collected for a memorial for Kimberly at Northwest Elementary School. The address and phone number are listed below.

Northwest Elementary School
3757 Lansing Ave.
Jackson, MI
49202

(517) 789-6159


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 6674532 - wilx.com/a?a=6674532