Poison Treatment

It happens all too often. Children get their hand on poisonous products like cleaning solutions or medicines and they swallow it. A life-threatening situation, doctors used to recommend syrup of Ipecac. Now they are saying don't use Ipecac, but rather Activated Charcoal.

Poison is found in many forms, pills or liquid, but how you react to a poisoning is what matters. That means the child needs to be under a doctor's watchful eye. If you're trying to do something at home, just make sure you're using the right remedy.

The reason doctors aren't recommending Ipecac anymore...vomiting has some dangerous side effects, not to mention, the Ipecac only gets rid of about twenty to forty percent of the poison. Hence, the new alternative, Activated Charcoal.

The Activated Charcoal binds to the poison, forcing it through the intestines, and out the body. Eighty percent of the ingested poison is removed, more than twice what Ipecac could take away.

The most important thing to do in the event someone around you ingests poison is to immediately call the poison control center. Their nationwide hotline is 1-800-222-1222.

wilx.com Extended Web Coverage

Poison Emergencies

  • Every year two million poison exposures in the home are reported.

  • Nationwide Poison control center phone number: 800-222-1222.

Information you need when calling a Poison control center:

  • Your age
  • Your weight
  • The name and ingredients of the poisonous substance
  • The amount taken
  • The time it was ingested

      Prepare Ahead of Time

      • Call a poison control center for advice on how to prevent an accident from happening.

      • Ask questions about pesticide use and certain drug interactions.

      9-1-1 Emergency

      • If a person has collapsed or is not breathing always call 9-1-1 first.

      Source: National Poison Control Department