Natural gas can be a dangerous threat to any home. Everyday appliances can lead to home explosions like the ones in Mason and Dansville.
Jeff Holyfield, of Consumers Energy, says most problems with natural gas originate in the basement. He says people should not hang clothes on pipelines because it can weaken the pipes and cause leaks.
Holyfield says all appliances should have shut-off valves. But if there is ever a problem, he says people will know because of the smell of natural gas.
Holyfield says if you do smell gas, open your doors and windows, get out of the house, and call for help.