A crew was doing intersection work at the corner of Williams and Jackson when they broke a two inch natural gas main. When emergency workers arrived, gas was spewing in the air.
Bellevue Community Fire Chief Dave Burkett says that's actually a good thing. If the gas was trapped in the ground it would look for the quickest exit, usually someone's basement. All basements in the immediate area were checked and cleared, however.
That didn't stop the evacuations of around 20 homes, though. About eight square blocks were shut down to traffic as well.
By 9:30 the gas line had been secured and people were allowed back into their homes.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.