The Conservative Club took on the Progressive Club during a debate about war at Dewitt High School.
Pro and anti-war students say talking about the conflict has encouraged them to discover their own feelings about what is happening abroad.
Meanwhile students at East Lansing are putting together care packages with toothpaste, food and bathing supplies to send to military members serving overseas.
Students say they've also been watching CNN during the day to find out more about the military men and women they'll be helping.
Schools are also making security plans in case the country is placed on a higher Homeland Security Alert. Jackson County schools say they'll shut down for at least a day if the country is put on Red Alert.
Lansing school representatives say Lansing schools will increase security and ID checks at their schools if a Red Alert occurs.
wilx.com: Extended Web Coverage
- Operation Comfort offers an opportunity to show our support to the men and women in the U.S. armed forces.
- Items will be shipped from the Red Cross where needed by our U.S. military members.
- Individually wrapped pieces of hard candy (Twizzlers, Tootsie Rolls and Tootsie Roll Pops; Bubble Gum; Skittles; lollipops; Life Savers; Candy Sticks; Sweet Tarts, Mary Jane; Bit 'O Honey; etc.) no home made items.
- Chocolate bars and candies, but only during cold weather.
- Microwave popcorn
- Peanuts, pretzels and other snack foods
- Sweetened Kool-Aid, Gatorade, and other sweetened drink mixes.
- Coffee, sugar, creamer, tea bags, hot chocolate, hot cider
- Toiletry items such as shaving cream, razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and shower soap/gel
- Hand sanitizer, hand lotion
- Wet wipes, foot powder
- Wrap-around sunglasses
- Batteries (Assorted sizes)
- Blank greeting cards (Birthday, Anniversary, Get Well, Miss You, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc.)
- Videos, DVD's, music CD's and cassettes (pack separately)
- Small board games such as Chess, Checkers, Dominoes, Parcheesi, Yahtze, Uno, Cribbage, playing cards and jigsaw puzzles.
- Recent paperback books (mysteries, action drama, and science fiction are highly read)
- Puzzle books, comic books
- Holiday decorations (St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Passover, Patriotic Holidays, etc.)
To learn more about the role your local Red Cross plays in supporting our troops, visit their Web site at www.redcrossinsewis.org or call them at 800-236-8680.
Source: http://www.redcrossinsewis.org/dynamic/ story/showstory.php?storyID=65 (The Greater Milwaukee Chapter of the American Red Cross Web site) contributed to this report