2 Hospitalized With Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


Two Lansing residents are in the hospital on this Christmas Eve morning, after breathing in Carbon Monoxide from a generator in their basement. we know one of the victims is an 8-year old child. the adult and child were rushed to the hospital shortly after 1 AM this morning with altered levels of consciousness. It happened at a home in the 13-hundred block of West Ionia street this morning. A family member made the call to 9-1-1. No word on their conditions. a spokesman with the Lansing fire department confirms power was out at the house, and the family had the generator in the basement to try to keep warm. But that was the wrong thing to do. Generators should not be in any enclosed space. The fire department says they are to be outdoors. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, weakness and dizziness. Local authorities say they understand people are doing what they can to survive without heat in their home, but again, generators should not be in your house, or even your garage. The Lansing Fire Department says they should be outside, like in your backyard. Here are some safety tips if you're using a generator. Keep it 3 to four feet away from your home, doors, windows. place a Carbon Monoxide detector on each floor of your home. Do not sit in your car in the garage to try to keep warm. Another hazard- people are hooking up their generators illegally to electric boxes. Fire officials say there is a lot of energy in the electrical box, and when the power comes back on from the utility company, things are not going to be pretty-you're at major risk for a fire. People are also advised not to use gas stoves to heat their homes. The fire department tells us Carbon Monoxide can build in the home from the stove over multiple hours of use. Some people think they're safe if they crack a window, but the fire department tells us that's not true.


WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 237141651