LIVONIA, Mich. (AP) -- A hospital says a 19-year-old Central Michigan University student from suburban Detroit who tested positive for bacterial meningitis has died.
St. Mary Mercy Livonia hospital in Livonia said Nicholas Collins died Thursday.
The Mount Pleasant school earlier said it was notified by an alert originally from the Wayne County Health Department that Collins, who lived in Trout Hall, tested positive. The school asked anyone who had close personal contact with the Livonia man between April 30 and May 3 to contact health officials or a doctor.
A message seeking comment was sent Friday to a Central Michigan spokesman.
Meningitis is an infection of the fluid that surrounds a person's spinal cord and the brain. It can be caused by a virus or bacteria, but bacterial meningitis is more dangerous.