Terri Schiavo Debate Raises Concerns About End-of-Life Issues

By  | 

Dr. Carol Scot is the medical director at Sparrow's Hospice and Palliative Care Center. She helps many families facing end-of-life decisions.

Scot says the Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care is the only legally-recognized end-of-life document in Michigan. It should be filled out by everyone 18 and older.

This document names who you want to make decisions for you if something happens and you cannot. Scot says you also need to have a conversation with the person you name about what measures you want taken to keep you alive in case of an accident or a devastating illness.

A living will will probably be followed by family and physicians, but it is not have legal status in Michigan.

You can get Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care forms at any hospital, doctor's office or at the Michigan State Medical Society.