A dying oak tree that has been around since Michigan State University was founded in 1855 has been cut down.
The black oak once spread its canopy north of Beaumont Tower. It used to sit on the lawn of Agriculture Hall when Michigan State was the Agricultural College of the State of Michigan.
Botanists put the tree at about 165 years old. School officials say the tree had become a hazard to students. Some of its acorns now in the school nursery will be planted on campus.