Just before 7 a.m. Friday, a couch on a front porch caught fire at 130 Stoddard. East Lansing firefighters arrived to find the entire two-story building fully engulfed in flames. They are still investigating just how the couch caught fire.
All of the tenants escaped the building unharmed. However, one person did have to jump from the second story to escape, and was taken to Sparrow Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
East Lansing has a city ordinance against leaving furniture outside. The Fire Marshall also found the apartments were above their occupancy limits. The tenants may face city penalties for both violations.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.