For the crumble topping
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• 1 ½ cups oat
• 1 cup oat flour
• ¾ cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 7oz butter, cut into cubes
For the filling
• 12oz tart cherries, pitted (about 2 ½ cups)
• ¼ cup water
• ¼ cup honey
• 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
• ½ cup dark chocolate chips
Directions1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 7in X 11in rectangular baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, flour, shredded coconut, salt and baking powder. Add butter and cut it in until crumbly (you can use a pastry cutter or two knives).
3. Add half of the crumble mixture in the prepared baking dish and press it down firmly on the bottom with the palm of your hands. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
4. Add cherries, water and honey in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring from occasionally.
5. It is optional to then transfer mixture to a blender and process until smooth. Transfer back into the saucepan.
6. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch with ½ cup of water and pour into cherry filling. Heat over medium-high heat and whisk constantly until it thickens, about 1 minute.
7. Turn off the heat and while it's still hot, spread over the first layer of oat mixture. Make sure all the oats are covered. Cool slightly then top with the dark chocolate chips and remaining oats. Press lightly with your hands to create an even surface.
8. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until light brown. Remove from the oven and cool before cutting. Enjoy! Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for a week.